Granta Design has announced the latest release of GRANTA MI™, the leading materials information management system for engineering enterprises. Version 6 makes it even easier for engineers, designers, and others with a need for materials data to find that data and to apply it to reduce risk and cost while making better, more sustainable products.
Find and apply crucial materials information with GRANTA MI Version 6
The release contains new features to manage and search materials data, expanded integration with key Computer-Aided Design (CAD) and Computer-Aided Engineering (CAE) software, and new data and tools for considering automotive steels, materials liable to strategic supply risks, restricted substances, and surface treatments.
GRANTA MI provides a specialist database system and supporting software that enables user organizations to build a single, secure, traceable, source for all of their valuable materials data – internal data (e.g., from testing, QA, research, or design) and reference data (e.g., covering engineering, economic, or environmental properties). A range of GRANTA MI tools help users to access and apply this valuable information resource.
Advances in GRANTA MI Version 6 include:
- Search with enhanced material intelligence - find what you need, even when using tricky material designations (e.g., alloy names, plastic grades) which are often written inconsistently in the source data.
- Handle real materials data – new features make it easier to store and present data for some important scenarios, e.g., for sparse populations of test data where properties vary with conditions.
- Access and apply managed materials within CAD/CAE. New for ANSYS Workbench® and NX®. Updated for Pro/ENGINEER® and Abaqus/CAE®.
- Report on restricted substance risk within CAD, including consideration of surface treatment specifications.
- Aid preparation of simulation models for crash, stamping, and forming with new data on automotive sheet steels.
- Track and mitigate possible strategic supply problems, e.g., with conflict minerals, via a new Critical Materials Data Module.
- Find replacement materials fast, with an enhanced substitution tool.
GRANTA MI is the result of a collaborative effort between Granta and its industrial and technology partners. For example, members of the Materials Data Management Consortium (MDMC) and Environmental Materials Information Technology (EMIT) Consortium provide guidance and feedback during product development. These members include Boeing, Emerson Electric, Eurocopter, GE, Honeywell, NASA, and Rolls-Royce. The Critical Materials Data Module was developed through the ‘Samulet’ industry-academic project led by Rolls-Royce, with supporting funding from the UK Technology Strategy Board and Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council.
“The latest release of GRANTA MI strengthens our core materials data management capabilities, adds data and tools for new applications, and improves integration with key design and simulation technologies,” commented Dr David Cebon, Managing Director at Granta Design. “GRANTA MI is the result of our continued collaboration with leading engineering enterprises, and we look forward to working with them to apply the system and develop it further.”
Granta Design Limited is the materials information technology expert. Granta develops the leading software for materials information management in engineering enterprises, and the leading teaching resource for materials engineering education. Granta serves sectors as diverse as aerospace, defense, energy, medical devices, automotive, manufacture of consumer and industrial equipment, materials production, and publishing. Customers realize multi-million dollar benefits in reduced cost, enhanced product performance, improved quality, and faster design turnaround. Granta was founded in 1994 as a spinout from the University of Cambridge and the work of Professors Mike Ashby and David Cebon.
LINKS TO FURTHER INFORMATION:
GRANTA MI: http://www.grantadesign.com/products/mi/
Material Data Management Consortium: http://www.mdmc.net
EMIT Consortium: http://www.emitconsortium.com
Supporting images: http://www.grantadesign.com/news/media.htm
GRANTA MI is a trademark of Granta Design Limited.
Abaqus/CAE® is registered trademark of Dassault Systèmes.
ANSYS Workbench® is a trademark of ANSYS Inc.
Pro/ENGINEER® is a registered trademark of Parametric Technology Corporation (PTC).
NX® is a registered trademark of Siemens Product Lifecycle Management Software.
Granta helps engineering enterprises to manage and apply vital information about engineering materials. We enable smart decisions on the use of these materials in product development.