In her weekly series for Cambridge Network members, software training expert Karen Roem offers handy tips to help you 'Tame your computer'. This week she explains how to examine your document's formatting (Microsoft Word*) ...
Tame your computer - fun with formatting
Ever "inherited" a document and don't have a clue what sort of formatting has been applied? Using the Reveal Formatting task pane you can quickly examine the formatting that is in effect in different parts of a document, as well as clear the formatting that has been applied to specific text.
1. On the Format menu, click Reveal Formatting.
2. Click anywhere in the text you want to examine. The Reveal Formatting task pane shows the font and paragraph formatting that is in effect at the current location of the insertion point.
3. Click the blue underline in the task pane to open the relevant dialogue box to make your required changes.
4. Clear the formatting of the selected text by pointing to the text in the Selected text box in the task pane, and clicking on the down arrow that appears. Then click on Clear Formatting in the list of options.
Moral of this tip ... don't just dismiss that task pane; it has some great features!
* Unless stated otherwise, these tips were written for Microsoft Office 2003.
Most of what is covered however will also apply to earlier versions.
14 June 2007