A unique PC-based software product supporting systematic selection of materials for engineering applications.
CES Selector, based on the Cambridge Engineering Selector (CES) approach developed by Professor Mike Ashby at Cambridge University, is a unique tool for the rational selection of engineering materials – metals, ceramics, polymers, composites – and of manufacturing processes – shaping, finishing, joining, and surface treatment.
The software is easy to install and use on your PC. It combines a database of materials and process properties (choose the Edition to fit your needs) with software tools to:
* Browse and search the information in the materials property database
* Create highly visual, interactive materials property charts that enable you to inspect and compare materials, and
* Apply this information using a systematic materials selection method to identify and rank the best materials for a particular engineering application.
With CES Selector you can:
* Support early-stage design, where materials and processing options are open
* Advance detailed design tasks when coupled to your own proprietary data or to specialist databases such as MMPDS (Mil-Handbook-5) or CAMPUS plastics
* Redesign components, selecting materials for lower “cost per unit of function”
* Find equivalents or substitutes for a redundant or withdrawn material
* Find substitutes for a material that has failed in use
* Validate a design approach, demonstrating that no material or processing option has been overlooked
* Communicate and gain support for new material and processing ideas
* Improve the design process by encouraging early consideration of material and manufacturing issues in new product design