The position will operate out of the Cambridge office under a 37-hour working week and will be a permanent position. This position has no direct reports.
- To ensure that expense claims are processed, examined and paid in a timely manner
- To ensure that all queries are handled efficiently
- Create and maintain the employee records within the accounting and expense system
- To ensure that all expense claims have sufficient documentation to support the claim e.g. receipts
- The review and correction of specific items within each expense claim:
- VAT status
- Expense categorisation
- Currency and exchange rate
- Mileage rates
- Personal expense flags
- Foreign currency cash issue and returns
- Chase outstanding expense claims where Finance have not received the necessary paperwork
- Manage/chase credit card holders who have incurred expenses on their credit card but have not submitted an expense claim
- Provide first line support on expense queries e.g. general enquiries on how to make a claim, how to attach the supporting documentation, advice on expense categories, etc.
- Actively ensure that all members of staff are adequately trained in how to make expense claims on the expense system
- To work with a core of super users to ensure that they retain a level of competence in order to support their respective teams
Accounting system postings and payments
- The posting of the expense claim journals on a daily basis to the accounting system
- The reconciliation of the expense claims posted to the accounting system
- Make a weekly payment run from the accounting system using the company’s banking system (Barclays online banking)
Reporting and analysis
- Reporting and analysis of the expense claims:
- By individual
- By expense category
- By project code
- Unassigned transactions
- Ad-hoc reporting
- Preparation and posting of monthly accruals from the expense system and purchase accruals to the accounting system
Process and system improvements
- Responsible for the review of the expense claim process and system to actively search for improvements in the efficiency and effectiveness of expense claim processing, reporting and analysis
- Maintain relationship with the expense system (Concur) solution provider
- Logging of support calls for system problems
- Tracking and monitoring of the support calls
- Keep up to date with the service update releases for the system
- Maintain petty cash, which includes the payment of expenses and daily cash office
- Maintain the foreign cash register
- Maintenance of the staff relocation register
- Work closely with the Travel Co-ordinator to produce reporting and analysis from the ATPI and Concur systems
- Work closely with HR regarding home workers and overseas employees
- Working with HR and the travel co-ordinator to ensure that the company travel and expense guidelines are in line with the company’s dispensation
- Assist in ad-hoc month end duties
- Any other ad-hoc tasks that arise from time to time within the finance department
- Provide cover for the purchase ledger in times of peak workload, holidays and other absence
- Scan purchase invoices using OCR tool ReadSoft
- Purchase invoice coding and posting to the accounting system
- Purchase ledger payments
Essential Competencies, Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- High standard of computer literacy – working knowledge of Microsoft Excel (pivot tables, vlookups, sumifs, etc)
- Has designed and created management reports from Concur
- Minimum of two years experience in an accounting environment managing and processing expenses
- Good understanding of UK tax rules and legislation (VAT and employment law, HMRC expense guidelines) to ensure that the company adheres to current legislation
- Knowledge of finance systems including Navision (accounting system) and Concur (expense system) would be beneficial
- Ability to communicate effectively with sales, technical and administrative personnel (e.g. working closely with HR with regards to the internal travel policy).
- Ability to communicate assertively with strong members of staff e.g. someone able to challenge claims and to explain queries and necessary tasks to complete claims
- Enthusiasm and assertiveness for working through problematic situations.
- Team player comfortable in taking direction and guidance.
- Excellent communication skills – both verbal and written.
- Willing to use initiative to resolve problems.
- Ability to learn, use and retain new skills.
- Organised and structured in approach to activities, paying attention to detail.
- Ability to get things done with and without close supervision.
- Flexible. Comfortable with ambiguity and change.
- Ability to work methodically through individual expense claims.
- Friendly, outgoing in nature and proactive with communication.