Applications Scientist - Structural Biology
TTP Labtech is looking for an experienced and commercially minded Structural Biologist to help deliver and support new sample preparation technologies that will enable emerging methods of determining biomolecular structures.
TTP Labtech is a global supplier of innovative products for accelerating drug development, combining the best science with first-rate engineering. We design and manufacture a wide range of low volume liquid handling equipment, sample management systems and fluorescence detection instruments addressing high growth markets in genomics, structural biology and drug discovery. TTP Labtech enjoys an enviable reputation for innovation, reliability and quality and is executing a bold strategy to deliver growth organically and through acquisition.
The successful candidate will help shape the development and delivery of a range of new products as a key member of the Structural Biology team.
Responsibilities will include:
- Supporting the roll-out of early systems through to full commercial products;
- Engaging with early customers to provide applications advice;
- Supporting the sales team with Structural Biology product demonstrations;
- Understanding product requirements through collaboration with structural biology customers;
- Communicating customer requirements to design engineers and software developers;
- Planning and running experiments, analysing results and preparing summary reports;
- Managing placements with customer development partners, including training, analysis and interpretation of customer data and providing feedback on the customer experience;
- Advising on the possible direction of further development as a product expert;
- Preparing and presenting written material for marketing, such as posters and applications notes.
Throughout the product lifecycle, you will be working as a member of a multidisciplinary project team, with increasing product management responsibilities. Foreign travel will be required, visiting customers and attending demonstrations and exhibitions.
- A 1st or 2:1 degree in a biological science from a leading university. A PhD qualification in a relevant field is strongly preferred, although equivalent experience will be considered
- At least 2 years’ experience in a structural biology commercial role or similar research environment.
- Good understanding of protein crystallisation and protein structure
- Previous wet laboratory experience and investigative/analytical skills
- Solid practical understanding of both single particle Cryo-EM/protein crystallography and current trends in determining protein structures
- Creative thinking and logical problem solving
- Ability to analyse complex technical data/equipment
- First class verbal and written communication skills, fully proficient in Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Organised, motivated team-worker with good interpersonal skills.
In addition, experience of the following would be beneficial:
- Experience with the handling of cryogens and analysing samples in a Cryo-EM microscope.
- Experience of working in a commercial environment including interaction with customers and demonstrating complex equipment.
TTP Labtech is based on the Melbourn Science Park, a short commute from Cambridge, Royston and the surrounding areas. There are excellent cycle, train, road and airport connections.
We offer a competitive salary and a fantastic benefits package including: Private Medical Insurance, Life Insurance, generous Pension Plan, Profit Share and relocation packages as well as great facilities and discounted local swimming, squash and gym memberships; there are also social running and football teams to participate in.
Please include a Cover Letter with your application. We look forward to hearing from you!