Salary: Up to £50,000 pro rata (dependant on experience)
Based: This role could be based at any of our Future Business Centres in Cambridge, Peterborough or East London but would involve regular travel to the other locations
Reports to: CEO, Allia Workspace and Serious Impact
Allia is the UK’s leading organisation dedicated to helping impact ventures to thrive. For 20 years, Allia has supported those that aim to make positive change and address the most pressing global and local challenges: through flexible workspace, networking and community in its Future Business Centres; its Serious Impact programme of business support for entrepreneurs; and social finance solutions to help charities create greater impact.
In the last 20 years, we have helped 1,609 ventures to start-up, grow and scale, which have launched new innovations and companies, creating 4,640 jobs and we have issued bonds raising over £333 million to help charitable organisations with development projects and activities.
Our people are pivotal to our success and we have grown expediently. Our team is almost 50 strong in 3 locations and we continue to add to this number. We are an equal opportunities employer who embraces diversity, inclusion and flexible working. In fact, we are the best not-for-profit employer for employee engagement in the Eastern region. We offer a great working environment, true team working ethos, great benefits and much more.
The Role and Challenges
The Commercial Director role is a critical part of Allia’s leadership going forward and will be a member of our executive team.
As Commercial Director, you will head our income generating activities, balancing financial sustainability with ensuring high customer service and maintaining a happy and high performing team.
In order to continue to create impact, we need to ensure our own sustainability. It’ll be your job to ensure that we meet our commercial goals and turn a profit year-on-year. You’ll oversee our Future Business Centres and drive our growth aspirations as well as helping to evaluate new opportunities.
You will be comfortable using a variety of information and data to assess market opportunities, inform sales and marketing strategies and focus activity to get the best possible results.
You’ll manage a brilliant team of Senior Managers and make sure they’re on track with budgets, occupancy, customer service, facilities and delivery. You’ll provide timely support and direction to the team members managing each of them.
You’ll lead the team on developing partnerships with key stakeholders within the public and private sector and ensuring that the Future Business Centres are embedded within the local ecosystems.
Plus, you’ll take on strategic projects like developing new Centres in East London and Oxford and managing our proposed expansion in Cambridge.
You will report to the Chief Executive.
You’re a confident and competent leader
In previous roles, you’ve led teams, complex projects and/or large programmes. You break down problems with a cool head and take tough decisions when needed.
You have strong financial skills
You’ve managed a P&L before and you have the skill to quickly read a cash flow and the confidence to make tough decisions when the business demands them.
You’ve tried your hand at sales
You will have experience of sales and other commercial partnership development. You know what it means to manage a sales pipeline and you’re used to closing deals.
You’re a shrewd relationship builder
Whether it’s negotiating contracts or liaising with senior stakeholders, you read situations quickly and make the right call in your interpersonal interactions.
You are a natural autodidact
Through your career so far you’ve taught yourself lots of skills and got to grips with new areas of work – not waiting to be guided by senior colleagues.
You’re not afraid of working hard in pursuit of a big vision.
You are a strategic thinker, reliable, deeply collaborative, a quick learner, and thrive in an evolving environment.
In summary, you will have:
- A passion for the mission of Allia and our work supporting impact ventures
- 5+ years management experience – with budget and HR experience
- Financial management skills, including P&L responsibility
- Commercial / sales experience
- An understanding of innovation and/or incubation centres
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills
- Valid driving licence and own vehicle to enable travel to all FBC locations
- Must be eligible to work in the UK without sponsorship
Nice to Haves:
- Experience of managing / operating innovation or incubation centres
- Experience of supporting and/or incubating start-up businesses.
- An MBA or MSc in Business Administration or relevant qualification in innovation or incubator management
- Salary range of £45,000 to £50,000, depending on experience
- Great, open plan office in Cambridge with easy access to A14 and M11, as well as stunning offices in Hackney and Peterborough.
- A strong commitment to personal and professional development – with full organisational access to LinkedIn Learning and a healthy annual training budget.
- Minimum of 10% employer contribution to your pension
- Life assurance
- Sickness, accident and illness insurance
- 25 days paid annual leave per year increasing with service to 30 days
- Annual volunteering day to commit to a charity or cause of your choice
- Plus, more!
- Tell us about yourself and why you want this role.
- Tell us about the most difficult business decisions you’ve ever had to make.
- Attach your CV and link us to a LinkedIn profile or online portfolio.
The closing date for the role is midday on Monday 25th March 2019 although we will be conducting interviews on a rolling basis.
We are committed to building a diverse team and creating an inclusive environment for all employees.