With state-of-the-art software, hardware and services for any type of network, Nokia is uniquely positioned to help communication service providers, governments, and large enterprises deliver on the promise of 5G, the Cloud and the Internet of Things.
About the Nokia Video Business Unit
The Nokia Video Business Unit is a leader in the supply of products and services to the Pay TV industry. As the Global Number 1 Content Delivery Network (CDN) supplier we provide products and services to the leading telecom operators across the world, including two of the three largest cable operators and more locally TalkTalk in the UK, who use our products to optimise and enhance the delivery of their TV services to devices including tablets, consoles and connected TVs. Our innovations in this field led to us being awarded the Supplier Innovation Award by Liberty Global, the largest cable operator in the world with over 24 Million subscribers in 14 countries. We have also been awarded an Emmy by the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences; software development just doesn’t get any more glamorous than that!
So if you are bright and enthusiastic come and join the award winning team who are transforming the way TV is watched all over the world.
You are a developer, but like making the infrastructure that supports an engineering department elegant, efficient and appreciated, with all the challenges that brings.
Job Objective / Mission:
To contribute to the work of the Product Infrastructure team, with a focus on software development, as well as evaluation, configuration and customisation of third party software. As a member of the scrum team you will have the opportunity to be involved throughout the development lifecycle.
The Product Infrastructure agile scrum team has responsibility for the full software development lifecycle, from requirements analysis through verification, in these key areas:
- Deployment technology and infrastructure
- Scalable management of deployed networks of servers
- Migration to RHEL7/CentOS7 from a custom version of Linux
- COTS platform configuration and qualification
- Firmware configuration and management
- Hardware monitoring and fault reporting
- Storage and network management
- Maintenance and improvement of software components
- Debugging, fault reproduction, communication with third-party suppliers
- Software load balancer, VPN, firewalls
- Ownership and promotion of platform 'best practice', including ...
- Refactoring existing software
- Enhancement of test infrastructure and automated tests
- Installation and configuration of CDN software components
- Input to documentation for customer operations teams
Skill, Qualifications and Experience:
Suitable candidates should have:
- A relevant degree in Computer Science, Engineering or something similar
- Solid and demonstrable experience of working in a similar role within a software technology company.
- Linux, Bash, Python, (Perl)
- Working in a Scrum/Agile team
- Experience with migration to virtualisation
- RedHat, including Kickstart
- Chef, Puppet
- HP and Sun equipment, especially HP Proliant blade and rackmount systems
- Netapp and Hitachi SAN storage
- VMware, kvm
- Test automation, test driven development
Highly Desirable (at least some):
Where we are:
We are located in the village of Milton just 4 miles outside of Cambridge City centre (which was recently ranked the number 1 place to live and work in the UK). Our recently refurbished, modern office provides a comfortable and creative place to work with easy access to the local village and central Cambridge amenities.
Respect - Acting with uncompromising integrity, we work openly and collaboratively, seeking to earn respect from others.
Challenge - We are never complacent, ask tough questions, and push for higher performance to deliver the right results.
Achievement - We take responsibility, and are accountable for driving quality, setting high standards, and striving for continuous improvement.
Renewal - We constantly refine our skills, learn and embrace new ways of doing thing, and adapt to the world around us.
The other great things about working here:
- Hungry? Thirsty? Fresh fruit, tea, coffee and canned drinks are all free. We also have Free Food Friday on the last Friday of each month providing a lunch for everyone…Mexican is a particular favorite.
- Want something to do? In addition to the regular summer family party and Christmas do the “Nokia Out of Office” club organises regular social events from curry to bowling, punting and the cinema.
- Giving something back! We are very grateful here at Nokia to the community that supports us. Our focus charity is East Anglia Children’s Hospice (EACH) which is headquartered here in Milton. We also are the proud sponsor of Milton Community Football Club.
Apply now with your CV and covering letter.