VP of Engineering
We’re looking for a VP of Engineering to lead the engineering team. You’ll work closely with the leadership team to define the strategy and manage delivery for Metail. You will be working with our CTO Jim Downing to drive architecture and the tech strategy.
You will be responsible for leading technology and management – working across multiple crews helping to design, plan and execute on the strategy. You will lead design, architecture, development and quality assurance activities, and operational concerns such as deployment and security and compliance of the platform.
As part of this role, you will facilitate, empower and make sure teams are happy and productive. The agile development methodology and processes within the teams will be part of your remit including continuous improvement to ensure efficiency and effectiveness. You’ll manage roles and responsibilities within the crew structure including career development, recruitment and mentoring.
You will help to lead organisational change with the rest of the leadership team, provide input from engineering. You will help set objectives and key results (we use the OKR model) and guide the teams to set theirs accordingly. Finally, you will manage technology partner relationships, providing input into grants, proposals and budgets.
We’re a dynamic, fast-paced scale-up with interesting projects, challenges and a culture that inspires learning and development. Our engineering team consists of three product development crews and a Tech Ops team. Each of the crews is a cross functional mix of software engineers, product leads, engineering managers, product managers and designers who are passionate about what they do. Our product is deceptively simple; however under the hood there are components that require computer vision, graphics, machine learning and physics simulation, which we’ve continued to drive with ongoing R&D alongside the more commonly recognisable front end apps and middle tier services. Our technology stack is based on JVM, and .NET technology and mostly runs on AWS.
What makes you our next VP of Engineering?
- You have experience working in a startup/scale-ups with SaaS-based platforms and cloud technology
- You will have worked and managed teams of ~ 20 people in size (we’re 30 something, growing organically)
- Strong engineering background with:
- 10+ years in engineering;
- 3+ years in an engineering management role.
- You have great communication skills – both written and verbal. You’re able to clearly present complex ideas and explain them to others
- You have strong decision-making skills and are calm and composed
- You are technology agnostic with an understanding of the right tools/languages and a general passion for technology
- You’re smart, and unafraid of maths and computer science. You are probably educated to degree level in a numerate discipline
What would help?
- Experience with e-commerce and retail technology
- Working with R&D teams to translate technology research into actionable projects
- Experience employing higher level cloud infrastructure e.g. containers, FaaS/serverless architecture, cloud native CI/CD etc.
What can Metail offer you?
- Opportunity to guide continued growth and development of a really smart product development team taking on significant technical and commercial challenges
- Innovative and open culture with strong links with the local tech community; we host 5 different groups in our offices, usually around 1 per week
- Great offices in the centre of Cambridge
- Salary and Stock options
- 25 days leave pa plus bank holidays
- Mentoring / coaching and a training budget you choose how to spend
- Individual- and family- friendly HR policies
- Childcare vouchers
- Cycle to work scheme
This role is a full-time on-site role predominantly in Cambridge, but you will also need to travel to our offices in East London regularly.
A little more about Metail
Based in Cambridge, we’re in the heart of tech community and regularly host meetups for Data Insights, DevOps Cambridge and Cambridge NonDysfunctional Programmers to list a few. We also work with initiatives like Codebar and Next Tech Girls to teach and coach the next generation of coders.
We are sociable team, and frequently enjoy an ale together when family time and extra-mural activities allow at the Elm Tree or The Free Press. Our office also plays host to the annual Metail Summer Party where punting and bbqing has become something of a tradition.
If you want to help to turn an innovative fashion technology startup into a global brand used on websites across the world and have the passion and ambition to really want to make a difference at this exciting company then apply now.