At Redgate we believe the best way to make software products is by engaging small teams empowered with clear purpose, freedom to act and a drive to learn. We believe in pushing ownership of our products to the teams that work on them, agreeing the outcomes we are aiming for and then encouraging teams to decide what they do and how they do will it. If you believe what we believe and are an experienced technical team leader who wants to build and lead a high performing team to create great products, then you should come and work with us.
The Technical Lead role at Redgate
Technical leads at Redgate are key to the success of our teams and the quality of the products we sell. The role requires a mix of skills; team leadership, hands-on programming, technical leadership, people management and customer focus.
As a technical lead you’ll help shape our products and drive the delivery of valuable software to our customers. You’ll apply agile and lean principles to incrementally release new and improved capabilities, respond to feedback frequently and adapt our approach. To ensure we build the right things, our teams regularly engage and collaborate with customers and you’ll need to be comfortable talking to users of our products.
You’ll have overall responsibility for the software delivered by your team in terms of product quality and technical quality. You’ll be deeply technical and able to guide your team through engineering challenges and decision making. You’ll be a role model for the software engineers in your team, supporting them in the improvement of their development skills while also providing a hands-on contribution of excellent code to your product.
You’ll build a team with clarity of purpose, autonomy within your team’s responsibilities and a drive to continuously improve toward Redgate’s vision for great development teams. Technical leads at Redgate embody a servant leadership approach, meaning you’ll serve the people you lead rather than direct them. You’ll take a sense of achievement from unlocking the potential and ingenuity in your team, helping them achieve great things.
We won’t lie to you, being a technical lead at Redgate is a challenging role, but it’s also a ridiculously rewarding and fulfilling one. You won’t be on your own, as you will be able to call on support from our engineering, product and delivery leadership folks. You will work alongside one of our development leads who will aim to help you every step of the way as you develop into your new role.
What makes you a Redgate Technical Lead?
- You have excellent skills in an object-oriented language such as C#, Java, Ruby or Python (we primarily develop in C#)
- You have a bias towards simplicity and maintainability in the code you write and the products you build
- Quality is important to you. You believe in automated testing and the importance of peer code review
- You have experience in providing successful leadership and can motivate and develop a team of technical people
- You engage well with customers and have past experience of doing so
- You have good experience of agile and lean principles and practices
- You’re an excellent communicator and thrive in a highly collaborative team of software engineers, with a proven ability to build rapport and influence peers
- You can set and meet expectations, with the ability to successfully prioritise and manage your own workload
- You have experience with developing technical people through coaching and mentoring
What would really help?
- You’ve successfully lead a high performing development team or have experience in a technical leadership role
- You have experience providing high quality line management
- You’re able to demonstrate strong architecture or design experience
- You can demonstrate your ability to be commercially aware in your thinking
What’s the package?
- A great benefits package
- You’ll work 40 hours per week, Monday to Friday, with flexible working time
- Salary is £55k – £70k, depending on experience
How to apply
- To apply, fill in the online application.
- Or, if you have any questions about the role and would like to know more, get in touch with Chris, our Head of Product Delivery at Redgate.
- We don’t have time to take cold calls from recruitment agencies – sorry!
- This role is based in the great city of Cambridge, UK!
This job advert opens on 6th March 2019, and expires on 2nd April 2019.