Development Manager for Germany
Granta Design is looking for a pro-active Development Manager with a passion for Materials Science and Engineering Design to join Prof. Mike Ashby and our International Education Team based in Cambridge, UK. The Education Team develops, promotes, sells, and supports the use of Granta’s CES EduPack and CES Selector software at universities and colleges worldwide.
This is a unique position working directly with university educators and researchers in Europe. Once up to speed the role will involve around: 60% business related focus; 30% technical engagement and support; and 10% product management/marketing.
The role offers opportunities to: work with leading academics; make a real difference to materials and engineering teaching; develop your business, technical, and soft skills; strengthen your personal network; travel within Europe; and have fun!
Granta is a software company, the leader in the specialised field of materials information technology. This is where materials science and engineering meet software and IT. We enable companies to manage vital information about their materials, and to apply this information to make better decisions. We support universities in teaching the next generation of scientists, engineers, and designers. We’re helping these organisations to develop ‘material intelligence’ and, ultimately, to ensure development of better, greener, safer products.
Granta started over 20 years ago at Cambridge University, where we maintain strong links. Our high-quality, global customer base includes businesses such as Airbus, Boeing, General Electric, General Motors, Jaguar Land Rover, Johnson & Johnson, Rolls-Royce, NASA, and Siemens Wind Power as well as most of the world’s leading universities.
What you will be doing:
- Business Development: develop a plan to engage new customers, i.e. generate new academic contacts with the aim of setting up meetings at educational institutions to advocate deeper adoption and usage of Granta’s education and research products
- Account Management: operate as the main point of contact for all matters related to educational institutions in your territory, build and maintain strong relationships with our academic customers, set up software licenses and ensure smooth license renewals
- Application Engineering: understand the institution curriculum, research, and commercial projects or collaborations in order to identify needs and propose next steps and implementation phases. Deliver technical presentations, demonstrations and application examples
- Product Specialist: stay abreast of trends for education products, interface with product managers to influence the direction of development, support internal and external technical enquiries related to the Granta products used in your territory
- Marketing Communication: develop a communication plan to promote Granta’s education products and services in your territory, help with the design and messaging of promotional material and distribution via online and offline channels
The ideal candidate will have:
- A passion for Materials and Engineering
- A PhD (or equivalent experience) in Materials Science or an Engineering subject with a strong link to materials
- Fluent spoken and written English and German
- Enjoys connecting people and networking
- An ability to identify and develop opportunities i.e. founded a new society whilst at university
- Some experience of CES EduPack and CES Selector
- Availability to travel internationally (up to 20% of time)
- Competitive salary and benefit package
- Flexible working hours
- High levels of autonomy
- A modern, spacious working environment and a casual, relaxed atmosphere
- Tailored induction and career development plan
We value our people and work hard to create an environment which rewards positivity and supports personal and professional development. As part of this commitment, we provide a tailored induction plan as well as excellent opportunities for progression. As you build your experience there may be the option to take on additional responsibilities or take the lead on some projects within the team. With regular reviews Granta aims to build on already existing skills as well as providing you with the opportunities to gain new ones to help you along through your career.