The role holder will have a strong track record in developing and implementing learning and development initiatives within a commercial business and experience in providing high level employee relations advice to a range of employees within the UK and internationally.
Reporting into the Business Services Director, you will also work closely with the existing HR team to define and co-lead other HR strategic and operational activities. You will have a proactive and flexible approach to work.
In addition to the core position responsibilities, you will be responsible for managing and developing a small team.
Granta is a software company, the leader in the specialised field of materials information technology. This is where materials science and engineering meet software and IT. Our vision is of ‘materials intelligence’ everywhere in education, R&D, and the product lifecycle. We aim to advance materials engineering and education, and to enable better, greener, safer products.
The company originated in Cambridge University 20 years ago, where it maintains strong links, and has built a high-quality customer base around the world, with organisations such as Airbus, Boeing, General Electric, Jaguar Land Rover, Johnson & Johnson, and NASA, as well as most of the world’s leading Universities.
What you will do:
- Lead the development and implementation of the L&D strategy for individuals, teams and the wider organisation.
- Lead on all employee relation issues, providing a comprehensive and confident service.
- Provide sound advice on performance management matters, including coaching and developing managers’ skills in this area.
- Meet with departmental managers on a regular basis to gain a thorough understanding of the department and all people issues within the team.
- Develop and manage the wider employee engagement strategy.
- Continue to develop the way the HR Information system (People HR) is used to support the business.
- Lead the annual review performance review process for all employees.
- Lead the pay review process for all employees, twice yearly. Provide guidance throughout the year on pay and remuneration.
- Continue to develop HR policies and procedures for UK and International employees ensuring compliance with statutory obligations and company best practice.
- Monitor employee absences in conjunction with team leaders and senior management, and liaise with occupational health advisors when required.
- Oversee, and continue refinement of Granta Academy.
- Support managers during probation periods.
- Oversee HR administration services and implement relevant systems and processes to ensure employees' records are well maintained and the internal HR intranet is updated.
- Support recruitment team as necessary.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Substantial experience in a generalist role at HR Manager level, with a breadth of knowledge and experience in a similar environment across all areas of HR including employee relations, performance review/appraisal, pay and reward, employee engagement, learning and development and using HR Information Systems. Ideally, you will be Level 5 CIPD qualified or higher.
- Demonstrable experience of participating in and leading change and improvement programmes.
- Experience and a good understanding of designing and implementing learning and development initiatives.
- Experience with HR Information Systems and can demonstrate clear understanding of how the system can be used to benefit the organisation.
- Demonstrable experience of advising and coaching managers and employees on a broad range of issues.
- Previous experience of managing a small team, demonstrating an ability to provide direction and enable others to perform well.
- Sound knowledge of current employment law.
- Some previous recruiting experience.
- Excellent standard of written and verbal communication with high attention to detail and accuracy.
- The ability to demonstrate confidentiality and sensitivity in dealing with HR issues and difficult situations.
- A friendly, positive and professional demeanour. Be confident in your approach and engaging.
We are happy to consider part-time applications, no less than 80% time. If you would like to apply and be considered for part-time hours, please make sure you specify this when you apply.
- Competitive salary and benefit package
- Flexible working hours
- High levels of autonomy
- Share Options
- 12.5% non-contributory pension
- Private health insurance or gym membership
- A modern, spacious working environment and a casual, relaxed atmosphere
- Being part of a dynamic, friendly, and multicultural team
- Tailored induction and career development plan
We value our people and work hard to create an environment which rewards positivity and supports personal and professional development. As part of this commitment, we provide a tailored induction plan as well as excellent opportunities for progression. As you build your experience there may be the option to take on additional responsibilities or take the lead on some projects within the team. With regular reviews Granta aims to build on already existing skills as well as providing you with the opportunities to gain new ones to help you along through your career.