A new programme to help students realise their tech industry ambitions to become the innovators of the future has been launched in the UK.
CW and Huawei team up to create the digital leaders of tomorrow
CW Techsters will enable students aged 16-22 from a wide range of backgrounds to study advanced technologies like 5G, AI, IoT, coding and sustainability. The series of courses are available to all young people who want to take part.
The project is the result of a partnership between CW (Cambridge Wireless), an international community for companies involved in the research, development and application of wireless technologies, and global technology leader Huawei.
With the pace of digitalisation accelerating - the UK digital sector is growing at six times the rate of the country’s economy as a whole – CW Techsters will equip students with the skills needed for the employment opportunities of tomorrow.
The programme is designed and led by Patricia Chan, Head of Business Development for CW and will see inspirational industry leaders from Anglian Water, 1Nce, Humans in the Loop, PwC and Huawei share their knowledge and expertise with students/participants.
Patricia Chan, Head of Business Development and Digital Skills Project Lead at CW, said: "At CW, we recognise the need for greater diversity and inclusion in the technology sector. Together with our partners, we strive towards inspiring young talent to break down barriers when exploring new opportunities and celebrate their advancements in technology, innovation and entrepreneurship."
The programme also seeks to close the digital divide and promote diversity within the sector. Across the digital ecosystem, there is an urgent need for large numbers of technical and engineering staff who can address the challenges posed by its growth. However, there is recognition across the sector that diversity and under-representation remain key challenges within the industry.
Victor Zhang, Vice-President of Huawei, said: "The UK can only achieve its ambition to be a digital leader by drawing on the widest possible pool of talent and make opportunities available for young people to equip themselves for the changes in the world of work and industry. We want people to understand digital skills are for everyone."
More about the programme
The full CW Techsters programme consists of three stages:
- Online learning – five free digital skills sessions leading to certifications, points and further learning. Complete five online sessions by 9 May 2021 for a chance to be selected as the first cohort of CW Techsters going forward to the next two stages
- 5G Bootcamp – an interactive deeper dive into the technological building blocks of 5G and its anticipated impact on the world delivered over 1.5 days
- Ideation Workshop - team up with industry mentors and your fellow CW Techsters to create solutions to a real-world sustainability challenge
- Grow your digital skills
- Get support and advice from experienced industry mentors
- Raise your profile amongst potential employers and educational organisations
- Boost your university and work application
- Get help with formulating business ideas
- Be featured in social media promotions and blogs
Contributing companies include Anglian Water, 1Nce, Humans in the Loop, PwC and Huawei.
Laura Underhill, Water Innovation Network Manager at Anglian Water Services Limited, said: "The CW Techsters programme presents multiple synergies with our Apprenticeship programme in harnessing the potential and enabling our future leaders. Providing platforms like these encourage our young talent to explore and get involved in the UK digital sector which will ensure a better equipped, future workforce."
To find out more, please contact Pat Chan, Project Lead.
A leading industry forum and vibrant community with a rapidly expanding network of companies involved in the development & application of wireless technologies.