Can you help Arthur Rank Hospice Charity with its recycling Christmas Tree Scheme in January?
Hospice needs volunteers, vans and van drivers to support Christmas Tree recycling scheme
Arthur Rank Hospice Charity is asking the local community for their support with its annual Christmas Tree collection, sponsored by Cooke, Curtis & Co (Trumpington) and Cyber Business Growth (Royston). The ‘treasure hunt' for trees will be taking place on Thursday 7, Friday 8, Saturday 9 and Sunday 10 January 2021.
It is the sixth year of the fundraising scheme, which last year saw more than 2,500 pre-loved trees collected and composted, raising over £36,000 for the Hospice!. The scheme depends on a unique collaboration between the Arthur Rank Hospice Charity team, Just Helping, Cambridge City Council, local businesses and scores of volunteers who generously donate their time.
This year’s recycling scheme covers the CB1, CB2, CB3, CB4, CB5, CB21, CB22, CB23 and CB24 postcodes, and, in exchange for taking away your tree, the Charity welcomes a donation to the Hospice. This year, Arthur Rank Hospice Charity is hoping to collect in the region of 2,800 trees and would love to raise £40,000! After costs, 90% of the money raised will go to the Hospice and the remaining 10% will be donated to Rotary Club of Cambridge, to distribute amongst local charities.
The trees will be chipped at temporary drop off points and used to lay down as mulch or taken away to local waste recycling centres for composting.
There is one element of the plan which still requires some extra support. Alison Pinney, Community Fundraiser explains: “We’re delighted that many of the volunteers and local businesses who took part in our ‘treasure hunt for Christmas trees’ are coming back to help us again in January 2021!
Due to the current situation with the pandemic we are appealing for more volunteers who can drive (preferably their own van) and crew members, to help us this January so we can achieve our target. We will be running the scheme in line with the any current government guidelines, to ensure the safety and wellbeing of all our volunteers.”
If you know someone who might be able to help, please contact the Hospice’s fundraising team on 01223 675888 or email email@example.com. A video illustrating what is involved when you volunteer as a tree collector can be found on Arthur Rank Hospice Charity’s YouTube channel
If you live within the postcode areas listed and would like to register your tree for collection, please visit arhc.org.uk/tree-recycling. Registrations close at 10am Tuesday 5 January 2021.
Arthur Rank Hospice Charity supports people in Cambridgeshire living with an advanced serious illness or a life-limiting condition and those who need end-of-life care. Our ‘Outstanding’ services are provided free of charge to patients and their families.
We care for more than 4,100 patients each year at our Hospice in Cambridge, the Alan Hudson Day Treatment Centre in Wisbech and in patients’ own homes via the Arthur Rank Community Team. This care supports people to improve their quality of life and fulfil their end of their life choices.
It will cost £10.5 million in 2021/2022 to run our services, which are provided free of charge to patients and their loved ones. We have currently secured £6.98 million from the NHS, meaning that £3.52 million needs to be raised through donations, fundraising activities and trading. We are extremely grateful to our local community for the continual dedication, commitment and generosity they show in supporting us to meet this target.
For further information, please visit arhc.org.uk