In her regular series for Cambridge Network members, software training expert Karen Roem offers handy tips to help you 'Tame your computer'. This week she explains how to set up a warning before printing, saving or sending a file that contains tracked changes or comments (Microsoft Word).
Tame your computer - a Word of warning
Back in 2013 I shared a tip to find and remove all unwanted comments and revisions, so that you do not accidentally send or store a document with potentially confidential or private remarks in it.
But if you want to take it a step further, you can set up a warning that will pop up every time you try to print, save or send a file that contains tracked changes or comments.
- On the File tab click Options.
- Press the letter T or click on Trust Center.
- Click on the Trust Center Settings button.
- Press the letter P twice or click on the Privacy Options button.
- Under Document-specific settings select the Warn before printing, saving or sending a file that contains tracked changes or comments check box.
- Click OK twice.
Next time you print, save or send a document that contains tracked changes or comments, it will prompt you to confirm that you really, really want to do that.
Oh, and remember, if you want to share one or more files with somebody in your organisation it might be better to send a link to the item, rather than an attachment. First of all, the recipient is more likely to work with the most up-to-date document as you reduce the risk of them opening an out of date version of the document from the email attachment. Also, you don't need to worry about the size of the file you want to send via email. And last, but definitely not least, if your organisation has protected the documents using permissions, you ensure the recipient can only access those documents that they have the right to see.
- Remove - not just hide - tracked changes
- Inspect your document for tracked changes
- Send links rather than attachments
- Make reviewer names anonymous
- Show changes and comments inline instead of in balloons
Our current course schedule can be found online. Book more than one person from your organisation on the same course, on the same date, and you get 10% off.
30 September 2019
Highly respected computer software training company based in Cambridge. Registered supplier to local companies such as AstraZeneca, University of Cambridge, South Cambridgeshire District Council and NHS England.