The Future Business Centre, due to open in October this year, is a different kind of enterprise hub; more than just a set of workspaces for rent, it will be a place where people will be encouraged to establish and grow their businesses while providing a social or environmental benefit. It now seeks expressions of interest from potential operators for its Cafe, which will be located in the heart of the Future Business Centre.
Cafe opportunity at the Future Business Centre - request for expressions of interest
The workspace within the building will be both of high quality and affordable and will be offered on flexible occupancy terms which is a combination rarely found in Cambridge.
The Cafe will be located in the heart of the Future Business Centre at the junction of its two main entrances and will therefore help set the atmosphere for the Centre and will give one of the first impressions that visitors receive on entering the building.
The Centre is due to be open in October 2013.
The Future Business Centre will:
- Total approximately 35,000ft2 (3,250m2) and provide affordable office, workshop and co-working space for over 50 businesses and some 300 workers;
- Be a base for Allia the social profit society that helps to raise investment for social benefit, Future Business who are a social enterprise that offers business support and workspace and Cambridge Cleantech who will continue their work to develop Cambridge as a leading cleantech centre in Europe;
- Have good access and community links with its close proximity to the Busway, A14, Cambridge Science Park and Orchard Park;
- Have a Ground Floor seminar room equipped with AV facilities and capable of seating 70 delegates;
- Have 2 externally bookable meeting rooms;
- Host network meetings and training sessions;
- Have a 24/7 access policy
The Future Business Centre Cafe will comprise the following equipment:
- Kitchen / Prep area – Sandwich toaster with Panini grill, 2 x Microwaves, Potato oven, Pizza oven, Blender, Dishwasher, Fridge, Freezer, Bain Marie, shelving and an Insectocute;
- Servery – Cash till, Espresso/Cappuccino machine, auto fill Boiler, 2 x Drinks Fridges, Chilled counter and a double sink
The Future Business Centre Staff will:
- Provide specialist business support and encourage an ethos of collaboration, co-operation and innovation;
- Provide opportunities for collaboration and co-operation between tenants, the adjacent County Council’s Smartlife environmental technology and training centre and Cambridge Regional College.
The Cafe operator will have demonstrated that he/she:
- Can provide a professional, friendly, welcoming and vibrant cafe service with the flexibility to cater for a diverse tenant base and visitor audience;
- Is willing to work with Future Business Centre staff to make the café a success and generally help foster the aims of encouraging users of the building to work with each other;
- Will operate the cafe as a social enterprise and demonstrate empathy for the ethos of the building;
- Engage with the wider community and in particular the SmartLIFE Centre and CRC and where possible provide training opportunities for their students;
- Is prepared to pay a rental linked to a profit-sharing formula subject to a monthly minimum of £1000 plus the direct costs of running the cafe.
To register your interest and receive a draft kitchen specification and layout drawing and other tender information please email your CV and a brief summary of how you would operate the cafe by 28th March 2013 to:
Andy Slaymaker, Property Manager Tel: 0845 456 2432 E: email@example.com
Subsequently Tender returns from potential Cafe operators will be expected by 17:00 on Friday 3rd May 2013 and will need to include:
- Personal profile and reference information;
- How your vision could/does fit with the principles of social enterprise;
- Typical menu plan and services to be provided;
- Business development plan including how you would incorporate the opportunities afforded by the Centre, the local community, SmartLIFE Centre and CRC;
- Financial information including a cash flow forecast
Allia is a not-for-profit organisation that supports businesses - through flexible workspace, social finance and free business support - so that they can grow and create positive impact, on their communities and on the planet.